Year: 2018
Client: Stroyteks Group
Allegoria Mosca
Moscow, Ostozhenka 4-6
GENESIS OF THE DISTRICT
The territory in discussion is located in the historical center of Moscow, at the beginning of the southwestern part of the Earthen city, at the intersection of the Ostozhenka and Prechistenka streets with the Prechistenskie Vorota square.

Urban development of this area began from Ostozhenka and continued around Prechistenka. There was a lot of free land, so it was easier to build large estates, which dominated at the beginning of the streets. Free layout with extensive gardens and stone chambers in the depths of the courtyards were the distinctive feature of these estates.

In this area there are three literary museums: these of Alexander Pushkin, Leo Tolstoy and Ivan Turgenev. All of them are located in the mansions of the early 19th century.
1739


The open area outside the city fortifications (fields and meadows between roads) was not settled until the 16th century. This area became less dangerous after inclusion of Smolensk into Moscow State and founding of the Novodevichy Monastery. This district was made pare of the city in the second half of the 16th century. The terrain was called Posad. From the beginning of the 17th century, Moscow nobility settled in this area.


The White Chambers belonged to prince Boris Prozorovsky, the head of the Arsenal Prikaz. The chambers were built in 1685 and, at about the same time, in the late 17th century, the Red Chambers were also built here.


1812


Urban planning activities of the second half of the 18th and the early 19 century had a significant impact on planning and development of this area. In 1816, after the fire, a new house was built here, which later would become Chilishcheva's revenue house.It was rebuilt in the Empire style in 1847, and in 1870 it acquired eclectic features.
1852


After the fire of 1812, the development project of this important node in the city system was revised. New red lines of streets were made in the situational plan..


In the post-fire period, the modern architectural ensemble of Prechistenka was formed. It was determined by small houses, among which stood older buildings rebuilt in the characteristic of Empire style. The Prechistenskie Vorota square was surrounded with low revenue houses.
1937


In the 1970s, the buildings on the streets arrow were demolished . The ancient chambers were restored, the confluence of the streets has been landscaped. After the demolition of historic buildings a square with a sculptural Engels monument was organized here.
BUILDINGS IN THE TERRITORY
Ostozhenka 6, p. 1


The house was built in 1816 by Senator Mukhanov in the estate, which previously belonged to the Rimsky-Korsakov family. The house was rebuilt in the Empire style in 1847 by the architect V. Gromovskiy, and in 1870 - in eclectic forms designed by the architect N. Gushchin.
Ostozhenka 1/2


The Red Chambers were erected near the White Chambers on Prechistenka, on the highest point of the site, in the 1680s. To this day, the Red Chambers have not been preserved in their original form. The first reconstruction was in the 1820s. The idea to demolish Red and White Chambers because of their low value was voiced in 1972, but the idea was not realized.
Prechistenka 3


The construction of the chambers began in 1685 and was completed in 1688. White Chambers served as the main house of the estate of Prince Prozorovsky. In 1712–1713 the chambers were rebuilt. In the 1850s an extension to the house was accomplished, and the exterior was rebuilt. From the late 19th century to the early 20th century, a tavern was located here, and later a cinema was opened. In 1972, the restoration began, which ended only in 1995. As a result, an extension was added to the house.
Ostozhenka 4


The Chambers of the Rimsky-Korsakovs were built not later than the 1740s. In 1816–1817, the Chambers were transformed into a one-story mansion in the Empire style on a semi-basement, with a stone mezzanine of 5 windows. The outlines of this mansion are read in the modern volume of the building.
Ostozhenka 6, p. 3


Because of various circumstances Ostozhenka's appearance remained almost unchanged until recently. Because of the "patchwork" of the building, there turned out to be many sites suitable for construction. The first project of the "new time" on Ostozhenka was the "Opera House" building, which started to be constructed in 1994. The house is considered the first new building on the street.
Ostozhenka 8


The apartment building number 8, lushly decorated, is one of the first where the electric elevator appeared. The construction is a valuable town-forming object.

Previously, it used to be an accommodation for professors and academics. The architect is О.О. Shishkovsky.





CONCEPT
Ostozhenka and Prechistenka streets used to be ravines, which framed the Chertorii creek, which flowed into the Moscva-river. Now there is Soymonovsky passage on the place.

This type of cityscape resulted into divided settlement of different social classes. Therefore, historically, the territory we are developing/reconstructing was nodal and core part of the city.
An analysis of key cultural institutions of Moscow showed us that the place central from both geometric and conceptual point of view.
Having thoroughly studied the way the place developed as well as its surrounding, we offered to make out of the new structure a place open to the city and its inhabitants, thus to create a new essential spot on the cultural map of Moscow.
SCHEME OF THE MUSEUM COMPLEX
The architecture results from a combination of the imaginative interpretation of the ancient Moscow chambers and the Italian palazzo. The new residential complex is an urban residential palace in the heart of the historic city. The square among the White, Red Chambers and the new Palazzo is a piazzetta - a small town square. Such areas, common to Italian cities, used to be characteristic to old Moscow, but later, unfortunately, were lost. Small city squares have always created a feeling of cosiness, were centers of attraction, a place of meetings and communications. They've been centres of attraction and places to meet and socialize with neighbours.

Our project is bound to return the lost type of small squares - piazzetta. We saturate the courtyard among the chambers and all the buildings of the future complex with event content and infrastructure for future tenants.

Nikolay Pereslegin
«This is a very difficult task, perhaps one of the most professionally complex - work in such a place can only be in the surgical intervention mode. In addition, our studies have shown that this place is full of historical layers and it reflects an unbroken chain of events - antique chambers; tectonic rupture of the landscape, which historically influenced the structure of estate settlement here; traces of the participation of Aristotle Fioravanti. The reaction to this was an architectural performance which plot is based on the city itself and its history and the courtyard of between the White and Red Chambers turns out to be the stage. While the facade of the new house turns to be a backdrop of this performance. This has become the main visual emotion of the project.»

Sergey Pereslrgin
«In the entire story connected with this project, there are two most interesting points.

First of all, it is the location of the object. The square, which will become a kind of node that unites all the houses around, is conceived to be a silent hidden corner. Any European city contrastingly combines streets with small squares.

The second point is the event potential. There's a lack of new cultural projects while in this place a new museum and exhibition centre will emerge. Now there are very few new cultural projects, but suddenly a new museum, educational and exhibition spaces will open in the center of Moscow. This is a place where people will come to look at beauty, listen to lectures and communicate - city always lacks such places.

As for the project itself we tried to show and realize its true potential which is enormous. The facade of irregular shape should be mentioned individually as it bears and supports an enormous space. The internal structure of the complex is simple and complex at the same time, systematically structured. It is multi-layered relative to the courtyard, entrances and entrances. The courtyard is a well with a garden, multi-level apartments, a new art space in a small cozy square - all this is like the quintessence of urban cultural life.»

George Trofimov
«To begin with, the "Allegoria Mosca" complex is a visually bright solution.


The fact that the project hasbnot only found support from the customer, but also passed the Arch Council, is a big deal. We managed to maintain balance between the interests of the city and the desire of the customer. As a result of this decision, a new public space will appear in the historical center. It will revive the square, which, at the moment, does not participate in city life.»
Project team:
Nikolay Pereslegin
Sergey Pereslegin
George Trofimov
Ksenia Vorobyova
Yegor Kyrchanov
Maria Korneeva
Catherine Vostokova
Aliya Mirobdalova
Mass media about "Allegoria Mosca"