Park Druzhby is always associated with Moscow North River Terminal. The project aims at reconstructing the historical meaning of the buildings along Leningradskoye Highway. There should be something linking two epochs: the construction of Moscow Canal in 1930s, and Park Druzhby in 1950-60s, the Thaw period symbol. It can be a continuous pedestrian route, from one park to another, encouraging, welcoming and even entertaining both local residents and tourists. Integrated parks will serve a unique place where one can feel as if they travel through the time staying in the city. The status of the local park will become higher: tourists will be able to visit a modern area with ponds, ride bicycles, go boating, sit in the park amphitheater or watch movies, and all of this will be independent from the surrounding severe Empire style Stalin park and river station.
The new Druzhba Park represents: • An important epoch – 1930-1970s. • The West and the East – a multicultural park • A scientific breakthrough – space exploration • Cultural renovation – literature, cinema, theater.
Park Druzhby is located in North Western District of Moscow nearby Rechnoy Vokzal metro station. In the west, the park adjoins Leningradskoye Highway, in the north it neighbors Festivalnaya street, in the east – Lavochkina street, in the south – Flotskaya street. The surface of the park is 46,8 ha.
This territory is located on the historical lands of the village "Znamensky Aksinya tozh", known from the beginning of the XVII century (the northern part of the Druzhby Park) and the village "Nikolsky Khimki tozh" (its southern part).
In the middle of the XIX century clay was found in the area, and two brickyards were opened here.
In 1932 the construction of Khimki water basin and Moscow-Volga Canal was started. After that North River Terminal was built between the canal and Leningradskoye Highway, and a large park was created. The landscaped park of the river station contrasted the other side of the highway where big amount of clay was stored and several borrow pits were filled with water. There were almost no greeneries in this area.
In 1956 the park master plan was designed. The project was concentrated on the area adjacent to Leningradskoye Highway, and landscaping of the area with ponds. They were separated by the main alley designed at the former railroad embankment. The laying of Park Druzhby was started in 1957, when the 6th World Festival of Youth and Students was held in Moscow. On August 1, 1957 festival delegates planted about 3 thousand trees. There were delegates' names and countries on every tree.
Infrastructure in the park
Historical planning Evolution of the park development
Advantages and disadvantages of the area
No infrastructure for handicapped people while having diverse landscapes
Advantages: 1. Diverse landscape: regular and landscaped parts 2. Large territory and route flexibility 3. Historical context: plenty of garden sculptures and monuments 4. Ponds with clear water which surfaces is 9 ha – 20% of the park territory 5. High attendance by adjacent bedroom suburbs residents: playgrounds, fishing, jogging, football
Disadvantages: 1. No functional zoning in the park – chaotic temporary constructions in the area 2. No route division – transit, foot, bicycle routes 3. No infrastructure for handicapped people while having diverse landscapes 4. Concrete pond banks – no natural boat ramp 5. No controlled entrance to the park
The main pedestrian transit Communication between the parks Rechnoy Vokzal and Druzhba
The concept of development
THAW (OTTEPEL) In the mid-1950s — 1960s, public changes began, to which the cultural figures responded.
THAW PARK — FRIENDSHIP (DRUZHBY) PARK East and West - multinational park
East and West — multinational park
Park of the scientific breakthrough — the era of space exploration
Park of cultural revival — literature, cinema, theater