YEAR: 2013–2017 CLIENT: GAUK OF MOSCOW CITY «Tspkio«Gorky park» area: 3800 м2
"Velikan" Cinema at Gorky Park
Moscow, Krymsky Val, 9, b. 45
The reconstruction project for a multifunctional cinema in the administrative building of Gorky Park will restore the communication between the park and the river by opening the walk-through. The walls of the building, which contain a history, will become a museum exhibit. The space is designed as a series of cubes, independent of the original walls. They hang in the air, leaning on the columns connected by a ramp. Walking on it, one will get a chance to touch the bricks of Alexei Shchusev and Rodrigo Dacosta, to pore over the remains of the frescos of Alexander Deineka.
The history of this building is connected with the Moscow River. At the end of the XIX century, the factory workshop of the Bromley brothers was built on this site. As the main transport route, the river played an important role in production.
In the old photo there is an arch through which the ships came to the plant. This silhouette can still be seen today, the remains of the gable and the portal arch (modern photo). When the shipbuilding plant on Krymsky Val ceased to exist, is not known, but in 1923 the building was rebuilt into an exhibition pavilion.
Modern view of the outer wall facing the Moscow River
Plant "Maly Bromley", 1908.
For the All-Russian Agricultural Exhibition of 1923, architect Alexei Shchusev rebuilt the former Bromley factory workshop into the Handicraft Pavilion. During the reorganization, the stone pool of the production facility was altered into the stalls, wide galleries were arranged on the columns, the facade was faced with Gzhel majolica. The Shchusev Pavilion was very similar to the Kazansky railway station, built in the Neo-Russian style.
Reconstruction of the former Bromley factory
Handicraft Pavilion of the All-Russian Agricultural Exhibition, architect. A, V. Shusev
The sound cinema opens - the pavilion of the agricultural exhibition is reconstructed by the Brazilian architect Rodrigo Da Costa. According to the memoirs of the first director of the park Betty Glan: "The foyer of the second floor was turned into a dance hall with two shells for variety ensembles, there were installed two large glass cubes, and in them - beautiful flowers and climbing greens. On the walls of this peculiar conservatory, illuminated by a bluish light, trickles of water were slowly flowing, watering the greens ... ". In 1942, a bomb hit the central part of the building, and for 70 years there have been ruins on this place.
Facade of the cinema from the park side, 1939
Facade of the cinema from the side of the river, 1935
View from the terrace. 2017
Combining the park with the river
Scheme of the longitudinal section
Ground floor plan
Facade from the park side
Facade from the side of the embankment
"The combination of such a cultural function related to the movie, plus there you can just spend time admiring the river while being at the park. There will be zones for co-working, for cafes and for brain storm office - that is, there will be some places where you can just come and conduct business negotiations. Then there will be a library, several cafes, it will be a very interesting format, which in Moscow is simply nonexistent now. It will be a kind of a new, important point on the map of Moscow. In addition, it will be profitable from the economic point of view; we have provided everything for this. "
"The main idea is to completely preserve the framework. We will not touch any walls or existing beams, but we are sort of preserving a historical building, although it is not an object of cultural heritage."
"Now, to get down to the river, you need either to walk along a narrow passage, or bypass the building. Therefore, we decided to open the now brick-lined openings to the water, from where one will be able to see the Moscow River (at some point they were completely bricked up). In the place where the bomb fell, trees grow: we decided not to cut them down, but, on the contrary, to break out the garden in the middle of the building. The main idea is to completely preserve the framework, and to put everything into it from above. We are not touching any walls or existing beams, but we are sort of preserving this ruin. Between the floors the ramp passes as a spiral, and, passing through it, you can examine each piece of the wall. At the top there will be a glass roof through which natural light will penetrate".